New works by Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Kitty Inexperienced, and Christos Nikou are among the many titles which were set to play in competitors on the upcoming 67th version of the British Movie Institute’s (BFI) London Movie Pageant. Scroll down for the total checklist.
Eleven movies will display within the official competitors, competing for the very best movie award. One other eleven titles will display within the first function competitors, competing for the sutherland award. Eight titles will play within the documentary competitors, with the winner taking the grierson award.
The winners of those 4 aggressive awards will probably be chosen by LFF Awards Juries, the members of which the BFI mentioned will probably be introduced within the coming weeks. This 12 months, LFF runs October 4—14 and marks pageant head Kristy Matheson’s first version in cost after she took the helm final 12 months following the exit of Tricia Tuttle. Saltburn, the most recent movie from Promising Younger Lady filmmaker Emerald Fennell, will open the fest, whereas the dystopian thriller The Kitchen, directed by Kibwe Tavares and Daniel Kaluuya for Netflix, will shut proceedings.
“The films represented in each of these competitive strands offer audiences an exciting array of UK and global filmmaking voices and cinematic forms,” Matheson mentioned of her first LFF Competitors lineup. “We’re so proud to be showcasing each of these films and thank all the filmmaking teams in competition for sharing their films with us.”
The complete checklist of competing movies:
The 11 movies screening in Official Competitors are:
· BALTIMORE (Eire-UK, dir-scr. Christine Molloy, Joe Lawlor)
· DEAR JASSI (India, dir. Tarsem Singh Dhandwar)
· EUROPA (Austria-UK, dir-scr. Sudabeh Mortezai)
· EVIL DOES NOT EXIST (Japan, dir-scr. Ryusuke Hamaguchi)
· FINGERNAILS (USA, dir-scr. Christos Nikou)
· GASOLINE RAINBOW (USA, dir-scr. Invoice Ross IV, Turner Ross)
· I AM SIRAT (India, dir. A collaboration between Deepa Mehta and Sirat Taneja)
· THE ROYAL HOTEL (Australia, dir-scr. Kitty Inexperienced)
· SELF PORTRAIT: 47 KM 2020 (China, dir. Zhang Mengqi)
· STARVE ACRE (UK, dir-scr. Daniel Kokotajlo)
· TOGETHER 99 (Sweden-Denmark, dir-scr. Lukas Moodysson)
The 2022 winner was Marie Kreutzer’s Corsage.
FIRST FEATURE COMPETITION
The 11 movies screening within the First Function Competitors are:
· BLACK DOG (UK, dir-scr. George Jaques)
· EARTH MAMA (USA, dir-scr. Savanah Leaf)
· HOARD (UK, dir-scr. Luna Carmoon)
· IN CAMERA (UK, dir-scr. Naqqash Khalid)
· MAMBAR PIERRETTE (Belgium-Cameroon, dir-scr. Rosine Mbakam)
· PARADISE IS BURNING (Sweden-Italy-Denmark-Finland, dir-scr. Mika Gustafson)
· PENAL CORDILLERA (Chile-Brazil, dir-scr. Felipe Carmona)
· THE QUEEN OF MY DREAMS (Canada, dir-scr. Fawzia Mirza)
· SKY PEALS (UK, dir-scr. Moin Hussain)
· TIGER STRIPES (Malaysia-Taiwan-Singapore-FranceGermany-Netherlands-Indonesia-Qatar, dir-scr. Amanda Nell Eu)
· TUESDAY (UK-USA, dir-scr. Daina O. Pusić)
The 2022 winner was Manuela Martelli’s 1976.
The 8 movies screening within the Documentary Competitors this 12 months are:
· BYE BYE TIBERIAS (France-Palestine-Belgium-Qatar, dir-scr. Lina Soualem)
· CELLULOID UNDERGROUND (UK-Iran, dir. Ehsan Khoshbakht)
· CHASING CHASING AMY (USA, dir. Sav Rodgers)
· A COMMON SEQUENCE (USA-Mexico, dir. Mary Helena Clark, Mike Gibisser)
· DANCING ON THE EDGE OF A VOLCANO (Germany-Lebanon, dir-scr. Cyril Aris)
· THE KLEZMER PROJECT (Austria-Argentina, dir-scr. Leandro Koch, Paloma Schachmann)
· QUEENDOM (France-USA, dir. Agniia Galdanova)
· THE TASTE OF MANGO (UK-USA, dir. Chloe Abrahams)
The 2022 winner was Shaunak Sen’s All That Breathes.
SHORT FILM COMPETITION
The ten movies screening within the Quick Movie Competitors are:
· THE ARCHIVE: QUEER NIGERIANS (UK, dir. Simisolaoluwa Akande)
· AREA BOY (UK, dir. Iggy London)
· BOAT PEOPLE (Canada, dir. Thao Lam, Kjell Boersma)
· ESSEX GIRLS (UK, dir. Yero Timi-Biu)
· THE GOOSE’S EXCUSE (Egypt-UK, dir. Mahdy Abo Bahat, Abdo Zin Eldin)
· KHABUR (Germany-Iran, dir. Nafis Fathollahzadeh)
· ONSET (UK-Poland, dir. Anna Engelhardt, Mark Cinkevich)
· THE SINGER (UK, dir. Cora Bissett)
· THE WALK (UK, dir. Michael Jobling)
· WELLS OF DESPAIR (Netherlands, dir. sata taas)
The 2022 winner was Yue Li’s I Have No Legs, and I Should Run.